Equality is at the heart of our mission at Temple Health. We're committed to providing the best healthcare to all lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) persons. Patient, visitor, employee — no matter how they identify or who they love — all deserve access to excellent healthcare in a safe, comfortable and unbiased environment.
Our designated LGBTQ Affirming Care Providers are dedicated and specially trained clinicians who share a common mission of providing clinical care to meet the needs of the LGBTQ community. They're devoted to making sure all of our patients, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identity are treated with dignity and respect.
Addressing Healthcare Needs of Our LGBTQ Community
Temple Health serves some of the most diverse patient populations in the nation. We understand the healthcare disparities and discrimination they face. Healthcare disparities — or great differences — exist between the LGBTQ community and the general population.
For example, there are:
- Higher rates of depression and anxiety in the LGBTQ community
- Lower rates of Pap smear and mammography screenings
- Higher rates of smoking and substance use disorder
Members of the LGBTQ community are also at an increased risk of being victims of violence.
LGBTQ-Friendly Services Offered
To effectively address these issues and more in a welcoming and compassionate environment, Temple Health:
- Provides primary, preventive and specialty care by Temple LGBTQ Affirming Care Providers
- Offers multiple specialty healthcare programs focused on the needs of the LGBTQ community including gender affirmation; substance use disorder; risk/harm reduction screening and treatment; lesbian and bisexual health; and gay and bisexual health
- Offers access to resources and support services to help the LGBTQ community navigate legal issues, medical care, housing services and more
- Engages in community events and activities organized and sponsored by Temple Health and our community partners
- Develops and leads research programs focused on issues facing the LGBTQ community to improve access and the patient experience of our LGBTQ patient population
- Maintains and strictly enforces non-discrimination policies to protect the LGBTQ community and is committed to ongoing professional education for all our care providers so these policies are firmly upheld
- Provides gender-neutral restrooms throughout all Temple locations. Patients and visitors are also welcome to use the restroom that aligns with their gender expression