Temple Health is always seeking more ways to better serve the LGBTQ community. A growing number of organizations offer information, support and resources to help the LGBTQ community navigate legal issues, medical care, housing services and more. Some recommended resources include:
LGBTQ Health Resources and Support
LGBTQ Health Support and Education
- Top 10 Issues to Discuss With Your Healthcare Provider — It’s important for LGBTQ individuals to take charge of their healthcare to ensure that, together with their provider, they can properly address their concerns and needs. These factsheets from GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing LGBTQ Equality (formerly known as the Gay & Lesbian Medical Association), identify the 10 most common healthcare concerns of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender and queer persons to help them better communicate with their healthcare providers.
- The Trevor Project — A non-profit organization focused on suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning youth. Through a toll-free telephone number, it operates The Trevor Lifeline, a confidential service that offers trained crisis counselors 24/7 for free.
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV — Information card about PrEP, GetYourPrep.com website, and financial assistance programs to help pay for PrEP.
- Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference — The largest free trans-specific conference in the world. It was created to educate and empower transgender individuals on issues of health and well-being, educate and inform allies and health services providers, and facilitate networking and community building.
- The Attic Youth Center — A safe space where it's OK2BU! The Attic creates opportunities for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth to develop into healthy, independent, civic-minded adults within a safe and supportive community, and promotes the acceptance of LGBTQ youth in society.
- Y-HEP Center — Offers an inclusive, trauma-informed, gender-affirming approach to healthcare for adolescents and young adults (ages 13-24), providing access to comprehensive primary care, sexual and reproductive health services, integrated behavioral health, PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV) and other relevant social services that aim to address the social determinants of health. The Y-HEP Health Center’s mission is to improve health outcomes and expand access to healthcare for all youth, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay.
- Transgender Law Center (TLC) — The largest national trans-led organization advocating for transgender individuals. Offering information and guidance grounded in legal expertise, the TLC uses a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender non-conforming people alive and thriving.
- The William Way LGBTQ Community Center — Located in the heart of Philadelphia’s “Gayborhood,” the Center encourages, supports and advocates for the well-being and acceptance of sexual and gender minorities in the Greater Philadelphia region through service, recreational, education and cultural programs.
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — A U.S. political advocacy organization promoting equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer individuals and communities.