Temple University Hospital — Main Campus has implemented a new safety precaution for patients and visitors.

Learn about our new weapons detection system here
800-TEMPLE-MED Schedule Appointment
Burn Center

When to See a Burn Specialist

Even minor burns should be treated by a burn specialist. However, it's important to be seen at a burn center, such as Temple's, if you have:

  • Partial thickness burns greater than 10% total body surface area

  • Burns that involve the face, hands, feet, genitalia, perineum or major joints

  • Third-degree burns of any kind

  • Electrical burns, including lightning injury

  • Chemical burns

  • Inhalation burns

  • Burn injury and any preexisting medical conditions that could complicate management, prolong recovery or affect mortality

  • Burns and concomitant trauma (such as fractures) in which the burn injury poses the greatest risk or morbidity or mortality
  • Burn injury and require special social, emotional or rehabilitative intervention

Learn more about the degrees of burns >

Most burns require immediate medical attention. If you have experienced a burn that requires urgent medical attention, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

Appointments for Non-Urgent Burns

If you have a non-urgent burn and would like a second opinion, schedule an appointment or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536) today.

Learn more about our doctors and care team who treat burns.