Important announcement concerning Temple Health and Keystone First. Our provider agreement with Keystone First is scheduled to end on July 31st. Click the link below to learn about your options for continuing care at Temple Health.

Learn More
800-TEMPLE-MED Schedule Appointment
Burn Center

Frequently Asked Questions About Burns

Burns are some of the most challenging injuries to treat. Some of the most common questions asked by patients and family members include:

Q: What is the difference between first-, second- and third-degree burns?

A: First-degree burns involve the outer most layer of skin. A very bad sunburn is considered a first-degree burn.

Second-degree burns occur when the second layer of skin is burned. These burns often have blisters and are painful.

Third-degree burns are the most serious and involve all layers of the skin. These burns often cause permanent tissue damage and can be life-threatening.  

Learn more about the degrees of burns >

Q: What should I do if I get burned?

A: It depends on the level of burn. Most first-degree burns can be treated at home. It's advised to immerse the burn in cool tap water or apply a cold, wet compress. Do not apply ice, butter or ointments to the burn. Cover the burn with a sterile bandage. If blisters form, do not pop them; let them heal on their own. Take over-the-counter pain medication to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. 

Second- or third-degree burns require immediate medical attention and should be treated at a hospital or at a burn center. 

Read about when to see a specialist >

Q: What do I need to know about electrical or chemical burns?

A: Any burns caused by electricity or chemicals should be seen by a specialist at a burn center.

Q: How long do burns take to heal?

A: Healing time for burns can vary widely. First-degree burns usually heal within a few days to a week. More serious burns can take weeks or months to heal. 

Q: When should I see a burn specialist?

A: Any burn more serious than a first-degree burn should be seen by a burn specialist at a burn center. 

Q: What is a skin graft for a burn?

A: A skin graft is a thin layer of skin that is taken from an unburned area of the body and used to cover a badly burned area. Skin grafts are most often used for third-degree burns and, to a lesser extent, second-degree burns.  

Most burns require immediate medical attention. If you have experienced a burn that requires urgent medical attention, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

Appointments for Non-Urgent Burns

If you have a non-urgent burn and would like a second opinion, schedule an appointment or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536) today.

Learn more about our doctors and care team who treat burns.