General Coronavirus Information
CDC Information About Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Protect Others by Protecting Yourself
What is COVID-19?
- A respiratory illness caused by a virus that affects the lungs
- It spreads quickly from person-to-person
How do I catch it?
- Mainly through contact with respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes in close contact (within about 6 feet)
- These droplets can land in your mouth or nose and possibly be inhaled into the lungs
- Possibly by touching a surface that has been touched by someone who has the virus, and then touching your own mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- Shortness of breath
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
What can I do to stop the spread?
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid using public transportation when you are sick
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands
- Cough and sneeze into the bend of your elbow
- Keep surfaces clean
- People who are sick should stay home
Who is more susceptible to complications from the virus?
- Older adults.
- People who have serious chronic medical conditions such as
- Heart disease
- Lung disease