Temple Faculty Physicians is experiencing technical issues with phone lines. If you are experiencing an emergency, please visit your nearest emergency room. If you would like to schedule an appointment with your provider or have general questions or requests, please contact us by using myTempleHealth.

800-TEMPLE-MED Schedule Appointment
Coronavirus Information

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Community and Neighborhood Resources

The following information has been developed for our community members and neighbors in need. 

Jump to:

You can also follow the North Philly COVID-19 Support pages on Twitter or Facebook for additional resources and updates.

Please note: this content is provided for informational purposes, and is subject to change at any time. While we are updating this content on a regular basis, some information may become outdated. Please check with the relevant organization/company listed below if you have any questions.


Utilities: Electricity, Water and Gas, Internet

Electricity, Water and Gas

The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC) will allow utilities to resume shutoffs for low-income households starting April 1, 2021. Low-income advocates are calling on the PUC to extend the current protections for low-income customers and work to develop a plan to resolve utility debt. 

If you'd like to help, the PUC recommends to contact your local representatives and/or share your story about how this may be affecting your household.

If you are experiencing hardship with paying down outstanding utility bills that may have increased during the pandemic, PECO is offering expanded payment agreements and financial assistance programs. Although the PUC can begin with disconnection for non-payment, PECO is committed to supporting customers during these challenging times.

  • Residential customers who need help paying your bill: Please call 1-888-480-1533.
  • Small business customers who need support with paying your bill: Please call 1-800-494-4000.

Additional Utility Assistance:

  • If you are in danger of eviction for not paying your utility bills, review this list of agencies
  • Nicetown CDC may be able to help if you’re struggling to pay. Call 215-329-1824 to see if you qualify for assistance.

Comcast / Internet

Hotspots for Free Internet:

  • Find a map of free hotspots by going to https://wifi.xfinity.com and typing in your zip code
  • There are many Comcast Xfinity WiFi spots all around the area
  • Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser

Through June 30, 2021, Comcast will continue to offer free Internet service for new Internet Essentials customers for the first 60 days, as well as free access to 1.5+ million public Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. Learn more at Comcast.com.

About Comcast's Internet Essentials:

If you are a Comcast customer with outstanding debt owed to the company, you may be eligible for the Internet Essentials program. Comcast is waiving this qualification if you apply and are approved by June 30, 2021. After this date, standard eligibility rules will apply. 

Please note: this content is provided for informational purposes, and is subject to change at any time. While we are updating this content on a regular basis, some information may become outdated. Please check with the relevant organization/company listed below if you have any questions.

Back to top >

Food Resources

Call the WhyHunger Hotline at 1-800-5-HUNGRY for the most up-to-date information on food pantries and meal sites near you. COVID food resources are also listed on their website. Be sure to call any locations before visiting.

Visit www.Phila.gov/food for a list and map of the city’s meal distribution sites.

The School District of Philadelphia and several charter schools continue to offer grab-and-go meals to all students under the age of 18. View a list of grab-and-go meal sites across Philadelphia. You can pick up 1 meal box and a container of milk per student every Friday, from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

Please continue to check back for the most updated information in the event things change, and visit www.phila.gov/food for an interactive map that will help you find the locations nearest you.


Please note: this content is provided for informational purposes, and is subject to change at any time. While we are updating this content on a regular basis, some information may become outdated. Please check with the relevant organization/company listed below if you have any questions.

Back to top >

Public Assistance Programs (Pennsylvania)

Applying for Public Assistance Programs

The Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity offers a collection of COVID-19 resources (PDF) for individuals, families and businesses.

The Pennsylvania Health Law Project (PHLP) staff is available to counsel and represent Pennsylvania residents to ensure that those with Medical Assistance (MA) and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) have services, or who need to secure insurance coverage. You can reach the PHLP at:

  • Toll-free Helpline: 1-800-274-3258, open every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
  • Email: [email protected]

To receive text updates from the City of Philadelphia about COVID-19, text COVIDPHL to 888-777.

Medicaid (MA) and CHIP

The MA and CHIP programs will pay for COVID-19 testing when a healthcare practitioner determines testing is needed. Prior authorization is not required.

There are no MA or CHIP copayments for COVID-19 lab testing. For those services that do have copayments, MA providers may not deny services if a beneficiary is unable to pay the copayment.

If you have an issue with Medicaid, you can reach the Health and Independence Unit at 215-227-2400, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

SNAP (Food Stamps)

The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (DHS) was approved for a SNAP waiver from the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS).

The Maximum Thrifty Food Plan is the maximum number of benefits a household can receive. View a list of the Maximum Thrifty Food Plan amounts effective January 1, 2021 through June 30, 2021.

For other questions about your SNAP benefits, you can call the Statewide Customer Service Center at 1-877-395-8930 or your local county assistance office.

WIC (Women Infants Children)

To apply for WIC, call your local WIC agency or call 1-800-942-9467 to be connected to a WIC office. Staff will answer your questions and schedule your appointment. WIC does not have an online application. View a list of items needed for your appointment (PDF).

Due to food shortages at stores, new foods will be WIC-eligible temporarily. Find the list of foods (PDF). WIC cannot deliver food.

Please note: this content is provided for informational purposes, and is subject to change at any time. While we are updating this content on a regular basis, some information may become outdated. Please check with the relevant organization/company listed below if you have any questions.

Back to top >


You can contact one of the city’s housing counseling agencies with issues and questions.

Rental Assistance

The City of Philadelphia is helping renters stay in their homes, such as offering emergency rental assistance to help people who have lost income because of COVID-19. Rental assistance helps landlords, too. 

So far, there has been a total of 3 rounds of emergency rental assistance for Philadelphia tenants:

  • Phase 1: accepted applications in mid-May 2020.
  • Phase 2: accepted applications between July and November 4, 2020.
  • Phase 3: Tenants eligible received an email notification. The deadline for submitting Phase 3 information was February 12, 2021.
  • Phase 4: Opening up in March 2021. The City is working to get applications open as soon as possible.

To receive email notifications, sign up at phdcphila.org/stay-informed.

Eviction and Foreclosure

Federal Temporary Halt in Residential Evictions:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) extended the current order temporarily halting residential evictions until at least March 31, 2021. Homeowners concerned about foreclosure can call the Save Your Home Philly hotline at 214-334-HOME (4663).

Moratorium on Evictions and Foreclosures:

On Feb. 16, 2021, the Biden Administration announced that the foreclosure and eviction moratorium will be extended through June 30, 2021 for mortgages insured by FHA, VA, or USDA mortgage. This means that if you have an FHA, VA, or USDA mortgage loan, you cannot be foreclosed on or evicted before June 30, 2021. 
The Federal Housing and Finance Authority (FHFA) also recently extended its foreclosure and eviction moratorium through March 2021. This means that if your loan is owned by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, you cannot be foreclosed on or evicted before March 31, 2021. 
If you would like information about mortgage assistance programs to stop or prevent foreclosure for Philadelphia homeowners, the Save Your Home Philly Hotline can help. Call 215-334-4663 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.


The City’s homeless intake centers are open. There are specific resources available for survivors of domestic violence and youth ages 12-17.

Get Help:


Please note: this content is provided for informational purposes, and is subject to change at any time. While we are updating this content on a regular basis, some information may become outdated. Please check with the relevant organization/company listed below if you have any questions.

Back to top >

Other Resources and Additional Information

Sick Leave

You are entitled to paid sick leave if you work in Philadelphia: https://www.phila.gov/media/20191218103833/Paid-Sick-Leave-Poster-Translations.pdf

If you need to take off because you are sick or caring for a loved one who is sick, find out what your rights are: https://clsphila.org/services/taking-leave-from-work/ 


If your workplace has closed or you can no longer work due to the statewide shutdown of non-essential business, you are eligible to collect unemployment compensation. 
In this situation, you are unemployed due to a "lack of work."
The fastest way to apply is online at www.uc.pa.gov

If you are a self-employed worker, independent contractor, gig worker, freelancer, or someone who found themselves not covered by PA UC, apply for the new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program. PUA provides 39 weeks of benefits, including the extra $600 per week for the period of April through July. You will be able to file a claim retroactive to when you lost your job due to Covid19. Find more info and apply here.

Stimulus Check

Those eligible for the third Economic Impact Payment will automatically receive up to 1,400 for individuals or $2,800 for married couples, plus $1,400 for each dependent.

Who Is Eligible:

U.S. residents with a Social Security number will qualify for the full amount if they earn up to:

  • $75,000 for singles and married persons filing a separate return
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns and surviving spouses

People with higher incomes may receive a reduced payment.

The quickest way to receive this money is to make sure the IRS has your bank account information so they can use “direct deposit.” If you already gave them this information while filing taxes in 2020 or 2019, you do not need to do anything extra.

If you do not have current direct deposit information on file, you will receive the payment as a check or debit card in the mail.

You can check the status of your third payment by using the IRS.gov Get My Payment tool.

Find more info here:

When the IRS Will Send Your 2021 Payment:

The first batch of payments of $1,400 will be sent by direct deposit, which some recipients started receiving as early as March 12, 2021.

How Much Will I Get?

The maximum amount for the third round of stimulus checks will be $1,400 for any eligible individual or $2,800 per eligible couple filing taxes jointly. Each eligible dependent including adult dependents also will qualify for a payment of $1,400. That means a family of four could receive as much as $5,600 in total.

Additional batches of payments will be sent in the coming weeks by direct deposit and through the mail as a check or debit card.

Payment Status: 

  • A payment has been processed, a payment date is available and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail. Note: mail means you may be issued an EIP Card or a check.
  • You’re eligible, but a payment has not been processed and a payment date is not yet available. It will not show the amount of your 2021 Economic Impact Payment.
  • Payment Status Not Available: We haven't yet processed your payment or you're not eligible for a payment.

Did Not Get the First and Second Payments?

Claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit. If you didn't get the full amount of the first or second payment you were eligible for, you may be eligible to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return even if you are not required to file. The third payment will not be used to calculate the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit.

How Can the Homeless Receive the Third Stimulus Payment?

People without an online bank account to receive a direct deposit or without a fixed, physical address for a physical stimulus check are at a greater disadvantage when it comes to receiving the payment. When filing taxes, the Federal Trade Commission recommends using the address of a local shelter, friend or family member.

Other options include using the address of a place of worship in the area or asking a local post office if they will hold one’s mail as general delivery.

In October of 2020, the IRS recommended that people experiencing homelessness could qualify for a stimulus check by using the Non-Filer: Enter Payment Info Here tool.

United Way Community Economic Relief Hotline

Call 211 or 1-866-211-9966 if you need help with bills, rent, or food. They will ask for your zip code and then provide a list of local agencies that can help.

Resources for those Experiencing Domestic Violence

For immediate dangers, call 911.

Philadelphia’s Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7 at 866-723-3014. Hotline counselors can help you with services like emergency shelter and crisis intervention. Calls are free, confidential, anonymous, and interpretation services are available.

The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7 in 200+ languages. Call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or text LOVEIS to 22522

Immigrant and Spanish Resources

The Society Ibero Latin American Medical Professionals (SILAMP) has Spanish language COVID-19 educational videos and resources.

Juntos is an organization offering assistance and guidance. They can be reached at 215-218-9079 or [email protected]

Financial Counseling

Clarifi is a non-profit that can help you create an emergency financial plan for free. They can coach you on how to talk to lenders, landlords, etc. and connect you to more resources. 215-563-5665 - English and Spanish

Caring for Infants

Find free diapers and formula here

Maternity Care Coalition delivers free Pack n’ Play cribs to families so their babies have a safe space to sleep. Call 215-989-3589 or fill out the online form to request a crib delivery.

Many organizations offer virtual support and information for pregnant women and families with infants and toddlers

Addiction Services

Clean Slate provides medication-assisted treatment for opioid and alcohol addictions. Call 215-433-1855 or visit www.cleanslatecenters.com.

NET Access Point can help those in need of immediate opioid treatment support. Located at 5th and Spring Garden, they accept walk-in appointments 24/7. Call 215-408-4987 or visit netcenters.org.

Remote meeting options for those in recovery:

Unity Recovery is offering 5 free online groups daily. Visit naworks.org.


PARD, an association of community pharmacies in Philadelphia, has initiated a hotline to help patients who are having difficulty getting their medications.  The person on the hotline will help the patient connect to a local pharmacy that is part of PARD and can help the patient get the needed medications.  For chronic diseases many pharmacies are renewing even if the patient is out of refills. The hotline number is 215-934-9412.

Large chain pharmacies like CVS, Rite-Aid, and Walgreen’s are offering free delivery for some medications. Call your pharmacy directly to ask about scheduling delivery.

Find a map of pharmacies and their delivery policies here. Call your pharmacy directly to confirm that they can deliver to you.


The School District of Philadelphia has created a hotline for questions about district closure, remote learning, learning guides, etc. Call  215-400-5300, aAvailable Monday through Thursday, 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM.

The School District of Philadelphia has launched the HOPE Line (1-833-745-4673), available by call or text Monday through Friday until 9:00 PM, and 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM on the weekends and holidays. It’s staffed by clinicians employed by Uplift and will offer counseling services for students, parents, and guardians.

Bi-weekly reports will summarize different aspects of our District’s readiness to return to in-person classes under a hybrid model. Visit philasd.org for updates.

Activities for Kids Home from School

Here are a number of resources for children who are home from school: http://www.amazingeducationalresources.com/  

Updates from the City of Philadelphia

You can find updates from the city here: https://www.phila.gov/programs/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/


Please note: this content is provided for informational purposes, and is subject to change at any time. While we are updating this content on a regular basis, some information may become outdated. Please check with the relevant organization/company listed below if you have any questions.


<< Back to Temple Health Coronavirus (COVID-19) page