There are many ways to treat chronic bronchitis. Usually, your doctor will use a number of them at the same time. They commonly include:
- Smoking cessation — the main cause of chronic bronchitis is usually smoking. Because of this, your doctor will strongly recommend that you quit.
- Nutrition — it can be hard to get enough nutrition if you have chronic bronchitis. Because you may find breathing difficult, you may be discouraged from eating. Your doctor may connect you with a registered dietitian to help you maintain adequate nutrition.
- Exercise — exercise can help you immensely in strengthening the muscles you use to breathe. Your doctor can help you decide what kinds of exercise would benefit you most.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation — sometimes a doctor suggests pulmonary rehab to chronic bronchitis patients. It uses a lot of different methods to help you keep your condition under control.
- Anti-inflammatories — these are drugs that can reduce swelling in your airways and make it easier to breathe
- Could include long-acting bronchodilators, antibiotics, and/or roflumilast
Ready for an Appointment?
For an evaluation of your symptoms or for more information about treatment, request an appointment online or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536).