Wound care includes advanced therapies for all types of wounds. These include chronic and non-healing surgical wounds and injuries such as pressure ulcers.
Certain therapies or conditions contribute to slow healing. These include:
Without proper care, severe wounds cause life-threatening complications. When wounds don’t heal as they should, Temple Health experts help. Specialists evaluate, treat and protect severe wounds, to promote healing and prevent trouble.
After a surgical or other procedure, your care team closely monitors your condition. If wounds don’t heal as fast or as fully as they should, doctors may enlist wound-healing specialists.
Severe wounds extend beyond the skin. They can damage fat, bones, nerves, muscle, tendons and ligaments. Treatment varies with the type and severity of the wound. Your doctor evaluates your wound and refers you to specialists as needed. Temple Health doctors work as a team to offer multidisciplinary solutions.
Doctors apply these and many other therapies:
- Blood vessel therapies
- Hyperbaric medicine
- Infection management and wound protection
- Intensive and critical care
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Severe burn care
- Skin grafts
- Tissue expansion
- Wound debridement
Healing takes time, but you’re not alone. Doctors manage causes and ease symptoms with attentive care. Your team may also discuss home care, social services and palliative care.
Temple Health Expertise
At Temple Health, our specialists work together to provide advanced wound care to help you heal. Our team has decades of experience in trauma and critical care, surgery, severe burns and other specialties. We understand the complex problems associated with chronic wounds or non-healing surgical wounds. Our highlights include:
- Leading doctors – “Top Doctors” and Best Doctors in America® rank Temple Health physicians among the region’s most outstanding healthcare providers.
- Resources to prevent loss of limbs and life – The Temple Limb Salvage Center is the first program of its type in the region dedicated entirely to preventing amputation in people with vascular (blood vessel) disease. Severe burns are fast-tracked to experts at The Temple Burn Center – the only one in the region located in a level 1 trauma center.
- Acute-care hospital – Temple University Hospital (TUH) is one of the region's most respected academic medical centers. As Temple Health’s acute-care cornerstone, TUH provides exceptional cross-specialty care. Learn about Temple University Hospital.