Joint replacement can effectively treat severe arthritis that affects the hips, knees, shoulders or elbows, by replacing all or parts of damaged joints with artificial joints that allow the body to move easily and without pain.
Our orthopedic surgeons work closely with you to decide if joint replacement surgery is right for you and identify the procedure that best meets your needs. Conditions that are effectively treated with joint replacement include:
- Joint pain
- Chronic knee pain
- Elbow problems and pain
- Knee problems and pain
- Osteonecrosis of the hip
- Shoulder pain
We offer the full spectrum of joint reconstruction care, including:
- Total hip replacement – Damaged cartilage and bones are removed and replaced with artificial joint pieces to allow full range of motion in the hip.
- Anterior hip replacement – A relatively new alternative to traditional hip replacement surgery.
- Total knee replacement – Damaged cartilage and bones are removed and replaced with artificial joint pieces.
- Uni-compartment knee replacement – Uni-compartment knee replacement, or partial knee replacement, reshapes and replaces only the part of the knee joint affected by arthritis or injury.
- Total shoulder replacement – The damaged joint is replaced with a metal ball and socket to improve range of motion and reduce pain.
- Reverse shoulder replacement – Similar to total shoulder replacement, the joint is replaced with an artificial joint. Reverse shoulder replacement, however, reverses the ball and socket joint to improve pain and function in individuals with cuff tear arthropathy.
- Total elbow arthroplasty – Elbow replacement surgery repairs and replaces joints damaged by arthritis or other conditions to improve function and reduce pain.
Innovative Care for Joint Replacement
Our multidisciplinary team of orthopedic surgeons, rehabilitation specialists, nurses and providers, collaborates to offer the latest advances in joint replacement surgery. We are committed to working closely with you to help reduce your pain and empower you to enjoy your favorite activities once again.
As a leading academic institution, we are proud to offer our patients access to research and innovative approaches to joint reconstruction that improve outcomes and reduce recovery. We treat individuals from around the greater Philadelphia metro area, giving us unmatched experience and insight into complex injuries and conditions that require joint replacement surgery for effective treatment.