Common symptoms of heart failure are:
- Feeling tired or short of breath
- Swelling (edema or excess fluid) in the feet/ankles and abdomen
- Irregular pulse or palpitations
- Cough or wheezing
In the early stages of heart failure, symptoms only occur with exertion or when lying down (when excess fluid collects in the lungs).
In advanced heart failure, or during acute episodes, symptoms are worse and may include:
- Severe shortness of breath
- Cough with pink-tinged phlegm
- Chest pain
Heart failure is a leading cause of hospitalization.
When to See a Doctor
If you're experiencing signs or symptoms of advanced heart failure, schedule an appointment or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536) today.
Learn more about our doctors and care team who diagnose and treat advanced heart failure.