- Bariatric surgery and revisional bariatric surgery
- Foregut operations
- Laparoscopy and robotic surgery
- Hernia and abdominal wall reconstruction, both open and robotic
- Hiatal hernia, anti-reflux surgery and paraesophageal hernia repair
- Weight regain after bariatric surgery
- Advancing endoscopic procedures for bariatric patients
Dr. Renza-Stingone was featured in a 6 ABC "Moves in Medicine" segment. Watch the video to learn more about hernias, surgery options and what recovery is like.
- MD, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
- Fellowship, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY
- Residency, Surgery, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY
- Residency, Surgery, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI
- General Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Council Member at Large, Metro Philly Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgeons (ASBMS)
- Philadelphia Academy of Surgeons
Awards and Honors
- Cor et Manus, Award of Distinction, New York Medical College
- Resident Teaching Award, Brown University
- Army Commendation Medal, Operation Enduring Freedom VIII
- NATO Medal for Service
- Afghani Campaign Medal
- Certificate of Appreciation, Moncrief Army Community Hospital
- Meritorious Service Medal, United States Army
- Golden Scalpel Award for Excellence in Teaching, Drexel University College of Medicine
- Philadelphia Magazine “Top Docs” May 2018 & 2019
- Top Doctors, Surgery, Philadelphia magazine, 2020
I have always loved surgery -- ever since I was a medical student. I came to see that laparoscopic and now robotic surgery can help my patients feel better, faster, with less pain. It gives me joy to help my patients feel better through weight loss, mindfulness, and healthier living. I develop a personal relationship with many of my patients, and that makes all the hard work worth it!
Elizabeth Renza, MD, FACS, is a board-certified surgeon and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. She has been practicing in the Philadelphia area since 2011. She specializes in minimally invasive and bariatric surgery. She also performs general surgery operations. She previously practiced at Aria Health in Northeast Philadelphia (2011 to 2015) where she helped to develop the bariatric program. She worked at Drexel University/Hahnemann University Hospital from June 2015 to the hospital's closure in the summer of 2019. Dr. Renza served as the Medical Director for the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Hahnemann University, and she has been active in surgical and medical education since she completed her own training.
Dr. Renza’s surgical and professional expertise includes laparoscopic bariatric operations (gastric bypass and gastric sleeve), fore-gut surgeries (anti-reflux procedures, hiatal hernia and paraesophageal hernia repairs), and laparoscopic and robotic herniorrhaphy. She also performs surgeries with the DaVinci Robotic System.
After completing her general surgery residency in 2006, Dr. Renza spent four years on active duty in the United States Army as a general and trauma surgeon. She deployed with the 82nd Airborne Division to Afghanistan in 2007 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. While deployed, she performed surgeries at a forward surgical unit as well as in a combat support hospital. She cared for injured troops and treated local civilians as part of a humanitarian mission of the regional command.
After her service, Dr. Renza completed a one-year fellowship in minimally invasive surgery and bariatrics at New York Medical College.