Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
Elina Toskala, MD, PhD, MBA
Head and Neck Surgery
ratings & reviews
- Nasal, sinus, and skull base tumor surgery
- Medical management of sinusitis, rhinitis and asthma
- Allergy testing and immunotherapy (allergy shots) for allergic airway diseases
- Minimally invasive surgical therapy for nasal obstruction, tearing of the eye (epiphora)
- Surgical and medical management of general ENT problems
- Allergy and immunotherapy
- Pathogenesis and management of chronic rhinosinusitis
- Unified airway concept and environmental exposure effects on the airways
- Genetic component of chronic sinusitis
- Asthma and allergy and development of new therapies for allergic diseases and asthma
- MD, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
- PhD, Respiratory Medicine, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
- Fellowship, Allergology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
- Fellowship, Rhinology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
- Residency, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
- Fellow, American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- Fellow, American Rhinologic Society
- Member, American Academy of Otolaryngological Allergy
- Member, Pennsylvania Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Member, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
- Member, European Rhinologic Society
- Member, European Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology
Awards and Honors
- President's Award for Recognition of Leadership and Innovation
- American Academy of Otolaryngologic Allergy
- Member of International Honorary Society of Otorhinolaryngology
- Collegium Oto-Rhino-Laryngologium Amicitiae Sacrum
- Best Doctors in America®, Otolaryngology, 2015-2016, 2017-2018
- Top Doctors, Otolaryngology, Philadelphia magazine, 2018-2019
- Mur T, Toskala E. Unified Airways. In Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Clinical Reference Guide, Plural Publishing, 2017, in press
- Kubala S, Toskala E. Non-invasive evaluation of nasal inflammation in Global Atlas of Allergic Rhinitis and Chronic Rhinosinusitis, EAACI. 2016
- Toskala E. Antral lavage. In Myers NG and Kennedy DW, Masters Techniques in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. Wolters Kluwer, 2016
- Georgopoulos R, Toskala E. Allergic Rhinitis in Practical Medical and Surgical Management of Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Editors P. Batra and J. Han. Springer Science+Business Media, 2014.
- Toskala E. Hakonarson H. Genetics in Rhinology. In Fokkens WJ (ed). Rhinology. Thieme , Stuttgart, 2013.
- Georgopoulos R, Toskala E, Krouse J. Allergy, Reactive Airway Disease, and Rhinosinusitis: The Unified Airway. In Sataloff’s Textbook of Otolaryngology, Jaypee ,2014.
- Toskala E. Unified Airways. In Kennedy and Hwang (eds). Rhinology. Diseases of the Nose, Sinuses, and Skull Base. Thieme, New York, 2012.
- Toskala E. Allergic Rhinitis. In Nuutinen J (ed). Otorhinolaryngology, Duodecim, Helsinki, 2011
- Toskala E. Occupational rhinitis. In Taskinen and Uitti (eds.) Occupational Diseases. Duodecim, Helsinki, 2010
- Toskala E. Otorhinolaryngological Emergencies. In Castren (ed) Handbook in First Aid. Red Cross and Duodecim, Helsinki, 2003
- Toskala E. Aspects of mucociliary flow and mechanics in nasal cavity and sinuses. In Baum GL, Priel Z, Roth Y, Liron N, Ostfeld E (eds.). Cilia, mucus, and mucociliary interactions. Marchel Dekker, Inc. New York, Hong Kong. 1997:227-230.
- Toskala E., Rautiainen M., Nuutinen J. Scanning and electron microscopy for diagnosis of respiratory cilia. in Rhinology- A State of Art. Kugler Publications, Amsterdam/New York. 1995: 331-332.