Peroral endoscopic myotomy, or POEM, is a minimally invasive surgical procedure to release constricted esophageal muscles. This procedure is most commonly used to treat achalasia, a disorder that makes it hard for food and liquid to pass into the stomach.
With POEM, a Temple gastroenterologist advances an endoscope through the mouth and into the esophagus to make a small incision in the constricted esophageal muscles which will release and aid in eating and drinking.
Benefits of POEM Procedure
Peroral endoscopic myotomy may offer many benefits in the treatment of achalasia, including:
- Less pain after surgery
- Quicker recovery after surgery
- Ability to avoid abdominal surgery and external scarring
- Faster return to work and normal activities
A Minimally Invasive, Effective Treatment
Our multidisciplinary team of specialists collaborates to effectively treat and manage a wide range of digestive diseases, including disorders such as achalasia. Our gastroenterologists are highly trained and offer the latest advances in care, including minimally invasive procedures and proven surgical techniques to diagnose, treat and manage complex gastrointestinal conditions.
At the Digestive Disease Center, our patients receive:
- Highly experienced care — Our board-certified gastroenterologists see more than 13,000 patients every year. They offer unmatched insight and experience into helping patients manage their unique digestive disorder.
- Latest advances in care — Temple surgeons are leaders in minimally invasive surgery and are often the first to offer the newest standards of care for a wide range of digestive disorders.
- State-of-the-art facilities — We offer advanced technology to diagnose, treat and manage complex digestive disorders.
- Clinical trials — As part of a leading academic center, Temple physicians regularly participate in the latest research and clinical trials for digestive disorders. Our patients have the access and opportunity to take part in select trials that may be a good fit for their condition disease and treatment plan.
We are proud to be a regional leader in digestive disorders. You can expect innovative care in the diagnosis, treatment and management of your condition so that you can live a full, healthy and active life.