Surgery can help treat elbow problems if conservative treatments fail to resolve your symptoms. Several surgical options can help improve pain and restore function, so you can enjoy your favorite activities. At Temple Health, our surgeons are experienced in:
- Elbow arthroscopy – Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a tiny camera, called an arthroscope, that is inserted into a small incision in the skin. Your surgeon can view damaged cartilage, tissue and bones around the elbow.
- Tommy John surgery – This procedure, officially called ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction, involves surgery to reconstruct a ligament along the inside of the elbow using your own tissue (autograft) or a cadaver tissue (allograft).
Elbow surgery can effectively treat several conditions that impact the elbow, including:
- Osteoarthritis – The natural breakdown of joints, including the elbow, can cause pain and problems in the elbow.
- Tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow – These common overuse injuries can cause tendinitis in the elbow, and impact athletes and non-athletes.
- Tommy John injuries – The ulnar collateral ligament is the most commonly injured ligament in the elbow. It runs along the inside of the elbow and can experience extreme stress during repetitive motions, including throwing a ball.
Collaborative Care to Reduce Pain & Restore Function
Our multidisciplinary team of specialists collaborates to manage and treat a wide-range of elbow injuries, problems and conditions. We work closely across disciplines – including orthopedic surgeons, sports medicine providers, physical therapists and rehabilitation experts, to help reduce your pain and improve function. Our understanding of the complex problems associated with elbow injuries, coupled with access to the latest advances in treatment, delivers the best possible care to our patients.
With six convenient locations across Philadelphia, we’re making it easy to get the care you need. Each of our locations offers access to state-of the-art care, including:
- A multidisciplinary team, including specialty providers, physicians, surgeons, physical therapists and rehabilitation specialists, that works together to treat your injury and help you recover
- Highly qualified physicians who understand the drive and desire athletes have to return to sport
- Ability to see a sports medicine specialist within 24 hours of injury or referral
- University-quality care and Temple research available at all of our locations
- Latest advances in treating and rehabilitating elbow injury