After a major weight loss, many people are not satisfied with the appearance of loose skin and tissue that remains behind, especially around the abdomen, arms and thighs. This occurs because the skin has been stretched out of shape. This loose skin not only makes it difficult to achieve a toned appearance despite exercise, it can also cause chafing, infections, irritation and pain.
As a means of reshaping the skin to conform to the body's new shape, Temple plastic and reconstructive surgeons offer a number of procedures that contour the shape of the body by removing extra skin and fat, including:
- Arm lift. Also called brachioplasty, the arm lift procedure removes sagging skin and smooths the underlying tissue to provide a more toned and defined shape to the upper arm.
- Butt lift. The gluteal augmentation and lift procedure can enhance the size and shape of the buttocks to provide a better-balanced figure. This outcome may be achieved through rearranging the sagging tissue, or by transferring the patient’s own fat cells from another location on the body.
- Fat grafting. Fat grafting techniques are used to sculpt, enhance or augment body areas by transferring fat from one area of the body to another. Living fat cells are removed from the abdomen, hips or thighs and carefully injected into the target site in the breasts, buttocks, face or hands to restore fullness and a youthful balance to the body’s proportions.
- Liposuction. This procedure removes excess fat deposits under the skin to smooth and enhance the contours of many body areas including the abdomen, hips, thighs, back and arms, or neck.
- Tummy tuck. The contour of the belly is smoothed and flattened by removing extra skin. In a related procedure called panniculectomy, extra skin and fat below the belly button are removed.
- Thigh lift.
- Breast lift.
- Breast reduction.
Body contouring is major surgery and can have a significant impact on body image following a substantial weight loss, whether achieved through lifestyle changes or following bariatric surgery.
Why Temple Health?
Temple Plastic Surgeons take the time to discuss each patient’s preferences and goals, carefully evaluate medical history and current health status, and develop a personalized treatment plan utilizing the latest innovative techniques and technologies.
Body contouring surgical procedures are among the many cosmetic and reconstructive procedures offered by our Plastic Surgery specialists.