A World-Leading COPD Research and Treatment Center
One of the world’s most respected research and treatment centers for COPD, Temple’s comprehensive COPD Program has a decades-long history of offering innovative treatments for patients who may have been told they have run out of options. Gerard Criner, MD, director of the Temple Lung Center, is a recognized thought leader in COPD research and has helped to write many of the COPD treatment guidelines used by physicians worldwide.
Temple Sets the Standard for COPD Care
It’s estimated that more than 16 million people in the U.S. are diagnosed with COPD. Of those, more than 140,000 people die from complications of the disease each year.
Over the years, the Lung Center has made great strides in overcoming the burden of this disease by:
- Committing to the discovery of new and innovative COPD therapies
- Sharing knowledge and education with lung specialists all over the world
- Setting the standard for COPD prevention, diagnosis, treatment and management through its involvement in the development of The Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) guidelines.
It’s these efforts that set the standard for COPD care not only in the U.S., but across the globe.
Here are some reasons why thousands of patients each year choose Temple for the treatment of their COPD:
- U.S. News & World Report recognizes Temple as a High Performer in COPD, a ranking that reflects the program’s dedication to the care and treatment of patients living with this challenging disease.
- The Lung Center is part of the American Lung Association Airways Clinical Research Center, a prestigious group of programs dedicated to the treatment of airway diseases such as COPD.
- Our involvement in the clinical trials conducted by The Pulmonary Trials Cooperative, which is funded by the National Institutes of Health, helps forge new and innovative therapies for patients with COPD.
- We are ranked among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation for pulmonology and lung surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- We lead the nation in bronchoscopic lung volume reduction (BLVR), a breakthrough treatment for patients with advanced emphysema, a type of COPD.
- We have one of the highest volume lung transplantation programs in the nation, with the ability to offer lung transplant for even the most advanced COPD cases.
- Dr. Criner and the Lung Center team co-host with the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) one of the largest professional COPD symposiums in the world. This yearly event brings the brightest minds in lung research and clinical care together to solve some of the toughest challenges in treating this disease. Through presentation and discussion of the latest COPD guidelines, research and advancements, specialists stay at the forefront of innovation to give patients the best care possible.