Symptoms of motility disorders can vary greatly depending on the source and severity of the disorder. Common symptoms usually include:
- Gas – Slow-moving muscles can create gas and bloating in the abdomen.
- Severe constipation – Motility disorders can keep stool from moving through bowels.
- Diarrhea – Muscle cramping may also cause diarrhea.
- Abdominal distention – Excess gas and fluid caused by motility disorders can make the stomach bloat.
- Bowel obstruction – Individuals with motility disorders may experience frequent bowel obstructions.