Temple’s Lung Transplant Program is one of the nation’s most active, experienced and innovative. Consider these notable facts about the program:
- Temple University Hospital consistently ranks as one of the top lung transplant programs in the country in volume of lung transplants.
- Patients turned down for transplant at other hospitals may be eligible at Temple, including people with higher age, a high BMI or those with other medical issues.
- Temple is one of only 3 hospitals in Pennsylvania with an adult lung transplant program.
- Temple’s transplant team includes renowned pulmonologist Gerard Criner, and transplant surgeons Drs. Norihisa Shigemura and Yoshiya Toyoda.
Because of Temple’s vast experience with lung transplantation, the hospital regularly takes on some of the most challenging cases, including patients who needed pre-transplant ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) or who needed combined cardiac surgery and lung transplant, and those who need to be evaluated and listed for lung transplant very quickly.
Temple has special expertise in using ECMO as a bridge to lung transplant. ECMO is for patients with severe lung problems for whom mechanical ventilation provides insufficient support. Temple’s ECMO bridge can allow patients in danger of imminent death the time to be evaluated to receive a potentially life-saving transplant.
An Experienced Team
Patients at the Temple Lung Center receive care from a large team of doctors, surgeons, nurses, transplant coordinators and other support staff. This team of specially trained lung transplant specialists walks patients and their families through every step of the transplant process — from initial testing to lifelong follow-up care.
Throughout the way, patients can count on the lung transplant team to clearly explain what is happening, answer all questions and provide high-quality, compassionate care.
Our Lung Transplant Program team consists of:
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Critical care/Anesthesia specialists
- Transplant infection specialists
- Transplantation nurses
- Physical therapists
- Speech pathologists
- Clinical psychologists
- Social workers
- Financial coordinators
Ready for an Appointment?
Find out if you’re eligible for a lung transplant. Request an appointment or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536) to see a pulmonologist today.