Temple University Hospital is one of four Comprehensive Stroke Centers in the region, certified by The Joint Commission.
Did You Know?
- Our Stroke Program cared for 503 patients in 2018.
- For patients who arrive within hours of their symptom onset, we can intervene with intravenous clot-busting medication or with intra-arterial clot retrieval devices for 22% of our patients. The national average is only 6-8%, and our complication rate is only 4%.
- For patients with brain aneurysms, we provide procedures such as surgical clipping, or intra-arterial coiling to prevent strokes. We performed 54 aneurysm treatment procedures, with a complication rate of 0%.
- We also perform procedures such as carotid endarterectomy and carotid angioplasty and stenting to prevent stroke by opening up blocked or narrowed arteries. We are able to perform these procedures with a complication rate of just 4.2%.
- 74% of stroke patients who received the interventions above were able to return home, or go to an acute rehabilitation facility.
American Heart Association and American Stroke Association Achievements
- 2018: Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll
- 2017: Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll
- 2016: Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll
- 2015: Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Honor Roll
- 2014: Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Honor Roll
- 2013: Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Honor Roll
If you think you or a loved is having a stoke, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Request an appointment online or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536) to see a Temple specialist for a stroke risk assessment or for follow-up care.