Temple University Hospital is one of four Comprehensive Stroke Centers in the region, certified by The Joint Commission.
Did You Know?
- Our Stroke Program cared for 553 patients in 2020.
- For 12% of our ischemic stroke patients, we intervened with intravenous clot-busting medication and 13% were treated with intra-arterial clot retrieval devices, which surpassed the national average of 10%. For patients who arrived within hours of their symptom onset, treatment resulted in improved functional independent outcomes.
- For patients with brain aneurysms, we provide surgical clipping or intra-arterial coiling procedures.
- Procedures such as carotid endarterectomy, carotid stents and carotid angioplasty are performed to prevent a stroke or a reoccurring stroke by opening up blocked or narrowed arteries.
- 39% of our stroke patients were able to be discharged home while 33% were discharged to an acute rehabilitation facility.
American Heart Association and American Stroke Association Achievements
- 2019 Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll
- 2020 Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll
- 2021 Gold Plus Quality Award & Target Stroke Honor Roll Elite
If you think you or a loved is having a stoke, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Request an appointment online or call 800-TEMPLE-MED (800-836-7536) to see a Temple specialist for a stroke risk assessment or for follow-up care.